- Johnson TR, Lyons R, Kopper R, Johnsen KJ, Lok BC, Cendan JC. Virtual patient simulations and optimal social learning context: A replication of an aptitude-treatment interaction effect. Med Teach 2014;36(6):486-494.
- Johnson TR, Lyons R, Chuah JH, Kopper R, Lok BC, Cendan JC. Medical students prefer unguided over guided communication for history-taking rehearsal in a virtual patient environment. Poster presented at the 13th International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, January 26-30, 2013, Orlando, FL.
- Lyons R, Johnson TR, Khalil MK, Cendan JC. The impact of social context on learning and cognitive demands for interactive virtual human simulations. PeerJ 2014;2:e372.
- Johnson TR, Lyons R, Chuah JH, Kopper R, Lok BC, Cendan JC. Optimal learning in a virtual patient simulation of cranial nerve palsies: The interaction between social learning context and student aptitude. Med Teach 2013;35(1):e899-907.
- Lyons R, Khalil MK, Johnson T, Lok BC, Cendan JC. Team-based learners compared to individuals develop greater knowledge with less reported cognitive demand from a neurologic simulator. Paper presented at the 5th International Cognitive Load Theory Conference, April 9-11, 2012, Tallahassee, FL.
- Lyons R, Johnson T, Kotranza A, Lok B, Cendan J. Using virtual patients to simulate cranial nerve palsies: Student reactions and evaluation of curricular placement. Poster presented at the 12th International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare, January 28-February 1, 2012, San Diego, CA.
- Poster: Cendan JC, Lyons R, Chuah JH, Johnson T, Khalil MK, Lok BC. Understanding the relationship between cognitive load and learning in a technical medical education environment. Poster presented at the 2011 Annual Meeting for the Association of American Medical Colleges, November 4-9, 2011, Denver, CO.
- Andrea Kleinsmith, Diego Rivera-Gutierrez, Glen Finney, Juan Cendan, & Benjamin Lok (2015). Understanding empathy training with virtual patients, Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 52, pp. 151-158, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2015.05.033, NIHMS669705
- Diego Rivera-Gutierrez, Regis Kopper, Andrea Kleinsmith, Juan Cendan, Glen Finney, Benjamin Lok (2014). Exploring Gender Biases with Virtual Patients for High Stakes Interpersonal Skills Training, International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents (IVA), Springer
- Diego Rivera-Gutierrez, Andrea Kleinsmith, Teresa Johnson, Rebecca Lyons, Juan Cendan, Benjamin Lok (2014). Towards a Reflective Practicum of Embodied Conversational Agent Experiences, IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), Athens, Greece: IEEE
- Aaron Kotranza, Kyle Johnsen, Juan Cendan, Bayard Miller, D. Scott Lind, Benjamin Lok (2009). Virtual multi-tools for hand and tool-based interaction with life-size virtual human agents. IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces, 14–15 March, Lafayette, LA. pp. 23–30